With the success of his venture into the lift field, George turned his hand to the design of a range of lifts. These were all hand operated with many models available for carrying anything from a dinner plate to a fully-grown man.
The original factory in Battersea employed many staff, all the lifts were handmade mainly from timber by skilled carpenters and the engineering components hand forged.
The first machine to arrive was a treadle operated lathe, it was the talking point of the factory. The company had its own transport in the form of a horse (provided by George’s brother) with a choice of three horse vans and they even had a stable onsite.
In around 1870 a steam engine was bought to power all the machinery, superseded by a gas engine in 1904. Finally, during the 1930’s electric power arrived, and modern machinery was purchased.
In 1866, Mr Johnson introduced his nephew to the business, Mr Littlechild, and gradually handed over George Johnson Lifts to other younger members of the family. To date there are still three members of the family managing, operating and financing the current business. Several of the staff and engineers have been working for George Johnson Lifts since they left school and we pride ourselves on our history and reputation within the lift industry.